FTC Safeguards Rule for Accountants Impact IT
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has ruled that all accountants that are paid tax preparers must create a written data security plan (AKA risk assessment) to protect client data. Not only must a risk assessment be completed, but the accountant must also select a service provider who can maintain appropriate safeguards required to protect client data.
These rules are collectively known as the FTC Safeguards Rule and have a clear impact on IT support for accountants that prepare taxes.
We have been working with Next Century Technologies (NCT) for over a year now. Their team is knowledgeable, polite and punctual in responding to our requests.
- Chrysantha Clark, Meridian Wealth Management
Our IT Support for Accountants
All of our Managed Service Plans Include:
- Antivirus/antimalware security software provided for all computers and servers
- Satisfaction guarantee!
- IT Consulting Services:
- 24/7/365 support!
- Help with picking out new hardware and software
- Help with selecting an internet provider and speed
- Help dealing with the internet provider when there’s a problem
- Bi-annual tech assessment and roadmap
- Friendly and responsive technical support for your staff includes:
- Priority response guaranteed with our Service Level Agreement (SLA)
- Four ways to open a ticket: by phone, by web portal, by e-mail or in-person
- E-mail help including e-mail encryption support
- Both on-site and remote support
- Flat-rate prices for new PC setups
- Domain name help
- Help with Microsoft and Office365 applications
- Troubleshooting of Windows operating systems
- Troubleshooting of Server operating systems
- Maintenance of desktops and servers including:
- 24/7/365 monitoring of computers, servers, switches, firewall and internet
- Patches and updates for operating systems
- Patches and updates for Microsoft products
- Backup monitoring and testing
- Monitoring of server event logs
- Hardware lifecycle management and inventory
- Systems documentation
- Uninterruptable power supply (UPS) monitoring and testing
- IT Management:
- User management (add/delete/change)
- Firewall management
- Switch management
- Wireless management
- Free on-site travel for Fayette and surrounding counties
For CPAs and accountants we also add:
- A security risk assessment (SRA): We find the gaps in your cybersecurity and help develop a plan to remediate them.
- Dark web monitoring: Proactively monitor the dark web for your staff’s credentials. The sooner they are notified, the better. Staff also has the ability to scan the dark web for their personal, friends and family accounts!
- Continuous Education: Weekly 2-minute micro training videos w/quiz combined with a monthly security newsletter and annual training keep cybersecurity top of mind and engaging.
- Simulated phishing campaigns: Who falls for it? Who passes? Keep your staff on their toes!
- Outlook plug-in to check for phishing: Not sure if it’s a phish? This little plug-in can help!
- A set of written security policies and policy acknowledgement: Our online document portal contains a variety of customizable security policies from BYOD to Security Incident Response.
- Interactive leaderboard: For staff, an interactive leaderboard inspires friendly competition for continuous education. For managers, employee names are featured with a report for performance evaluations plus track who needs more help!
- Password management software: Who can remember unique passwords for everything? You can! With the help of our password management software designed and secured for business, you and your staff can keep up with all your passwords without writing them down!
Ensure You are Compliant with the New Guidelines for Accountants
You, as an accountant and professional tax preparer, touch some of the most critical data known to a business owner – the books! It's no surprise that the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has ruled that all accountants who are professional tax preparers must create a written data security plan (AKA risk assessment) to protect client data. Not only must a risk assessment be completed, but the tax preparers must also select a service provider who can maintain appropriate safeguards required to protect client data.
I can confidently recommend Next Century Technologies as a solid and reliable business partner and experts in their field.